Livermore CA (September 5 2013) – Fair Trade Designs, a Livermore-based online retailer, is now part of a network of nearly 250 fair trade businesses after being accepted into the Fair Trade Federation (FTF). The FTF is a trade association that strengthens and promotes North American organizations fully committed to fair trade. Membership in the Federation requires meeting a high bar of ethical business requirements.
- To become a member, applicants must submit thorough documentation describing the organization’s relationship with producer partners and efforts to provide good work conditions, fair wages, safety, environmental sensitivity, financial transparency and more.
- Completion of this rigorous screening process provides an important mark of distinction for members and for shoppers interested in supporting an entire business for its fair trade practices rather than simply purchasing a fair trade product.
“We were very impressed with Fair Trade Designs,” says Executive Director Renee Bowers. “They include lots of wonderful detail on the origin and story of the items available in their online store, and they use robust selection criteria and due diligence when selecting fair trade products.”
- www.FairTradeDesigns.com sells fashion-forward jewelry, apparel, and bags all handcrafted by some of the most impoverished people of the world.
- The products combine traditional, indigenous skills with contemporary designs to create exceptionally stylish fashion accessories.
- It is one of only a handful of San Francisco Bay Area businesses awarded membership in the Fair Trade Federation.
“Being a member of the Federation gives the official ‘stamp of approval’ to my fair trade work,” says Stephanie King, founder and owner of the online business. “Consumers can shop ethically without sacrificing their style, knowing that Fair Trade Designs strictly adheres to the nine principles of fair trade.”
Though primarily an online-only business, Bay Area residents have a rare opportunity to see and buy the full line of Fair Trade Designs products the weekend of September 21 and 22. Their store will be set up at the Fall Festival at St. Charles Borromeo Church, 1315 Lomitas Avenue in Livermore. Store hours are Saturday evening from 5 pm until 10 pm and Sunday from 1 pm until 8 pm. Food Truck Mafia, the Mixed Nuts Band, games, raffles, auctions, and NFL action on the big screen are among the other highlights of the festival.
About Fair Trade Designs
- www.FairTradeDesigns.com is an online boutique selling fairly traded, eco-friendly, and handcrafted fashion accessories from around the globe.
- Stephanie King launched the site after she participated in a program run by JustFaith that studied the poverty, unsafe working conditions, and low wages common among workers in developing nations.
- She is especially committed to showcasing products made by human trafficking survivors and those that help preserve rainforests.
- Each product on the site includes the story of the artisan who created it and how working under fair trade conditions has improved her life.
- Ms. King blogs on her site about fair trade issues and specific artisan groups.
- The company’s tag line is “Shop ethically without sacrificing your style.”