Whether you do so consciously or not, when you purchase a fair trade product you’re making a statement that the poor should get to participate fully in and benefit from global trade.
But if you want to know more specifically how your purchase makes a difference, at least one of these eight things happen when you buy fair trade crafts and food:
- You’re giving a mother an option for dignified work so she can support her family.
- You’re empowering the abandoned to rebuild the economy of a country destroyed by genocide, disease, or drought.
- You’re giving a trafficked or abused young woman a secure and safe new life.
- You’re empowering producer and artisan communities to form co-ops, which improve their negotiating position in the supply chain.
- You’re assuring a child has a childhood and not a life working on cocoa plantations or in miserable factories.
- You’re helping to save the rainforests, rivers, and streams from being polluted by toxic chemicals.
- You’re providing productive and sustainable alternatives to lives of crime for young men and women.
- You’re helping to save an elephant from being poached for its ivory.